Posiva's Operating PolicyPosiva aims for safe, on-time and economically feasible final disposal of spent nuclear fuel, working according to the demands of the company’s owners and other stakeholders. Posiva commits to the continuous improvement of the safety and quality of its operations, as well as to the fulfilment of the requirements of the society in full compliance with laws and regulations. The management of operational safety is carried out in a holistic and systematic manner.
Posiva’s operational policy comprises central nuclear and radiation safety, quality, and corporate safety and security goals. The appropriateness and realisation of these goals is continuously monitored, and any operation or task-specific objectives are derived from them. The goals determined in compliance with the operational policy are divided into four groups as follows:
Nuclear and radiation safety goals
- The aim of the operations is to implement safe management of nuclear waste, simultaneously fulfilling the requirements set by the legislation and the authorities.
- The principle of continuous improvement is applied in all operations.
- The aim of the operations is to instil and maintain a high standard of safety culture in all the company’s operations.
- Any risks affecting the safety of nuclear waste management are identified as early as in the operational planning phase.
- The personnel is aware of the significance of their work to nuclear and radiation safety.
- Nuclear and radiation safety is appropriately taken into account in all Posiva’s operations.
- Nuclear material safeguards are implemented to prevent the proliferation of nuclear material.
- The operations are planned, implemented, and developed in a systematic manner that enables the achievement of long-term strategic objectives.
- The plans are based on customer requirements and are compatible with the opportunities provided, and the restrictions placed, by the operating environment.
- The operations correspond to the plans prepared.
- The operations fulfil the requirements of economic feasibility.
- The results of the operations are in accordance with the plans, safe, serviceable, and dependable.
- Decisions are made, and the resulting measures taken, at the optimal time.
- The decisions can be traced back in order to verify the procedures, decisions, investigations, etc. that lead to specific solutions.
- The principle of continuous improvement is followed in all operations.
- Any deviations or problems are reported immediately when detected, and systematic search is carried out to find solutions to remedy their causes.
- Expertise is maintained and developed.
Corporate safety and security goals
- The operations are carried out in accordance with the “zero accidents” philosophy.
- An effort is made to maintain the physical and mental working capacity of the personnel at a high level.
- The disturbance-free performance of Posiva’s day-to-day operations is ensured taking into account the safety significance of each site.
- Any risks affecting safety are identified as early as in the operational planning phase. Risk management is carried out in a regular and consistent manner.
- The burden on the environment resulting the operations is minimised.
- The personnel is aware of the safety significance of their work.